La Puntual’s programme of presenting international master puppeteers 1 has invited for this 2017 season the renowned marionette performer Stephen Mottram, who will play his latest production, “The Parachute” on our stage, and hold an intensive workshop/masterclass entitled “The Logic of Movement” from the 29th June till 2nd of July. “A workshop about why things move in the way they do and how knowing about this helps the puppeteer to express ideas more successfully to an audience”. S. Mottram. Those participating will become familiar with the theories that Mottram has been developing concerning movement of humans and animals. They will learn the basics of marionette manipulation, with the “control” that carries his name. All with practical exercises, group improvisations and short performances. *In the last years, La Puntual has held master classes and workshops with such relevant puppeteers as Neville Tranter, Richard Bradshaw, Thomas Lundqvist, Los Chon-Chon, Roberto White and Luca Ronga.
The theory of movement and manipulation of marionettes and puppets.
The course includes:
- Analysis of the movement of the human body.
- Analysis of the movement of animals.
- The sequence of movement.
- Movement as main means of communication.
- El body language.
- The relationship between fundamental mechanics and emotions in movement.
- The qualities of movement.
- Reproduction of movement codes.
- The manipulation of the “Mottram” marionette.
The structure of the workshop:
- Individual or small group exercises and experiments.
- Short sketches or improvisations in small groups to practice and assimilate new concepts.
- Theory and debates on aspects regarding the course.
- Games and exercises to get to know each other better.
Stephen Mottram will bring marionettes, puppets and other elements for use throughout the workshop. Practical information:
- Dates: 29th and 30th June, 1st and 2nd July.
- Times: From 10.00 to 14.00h every day.
- Duration: 16 hours.
- Price: 200€ per person. (175 UNIMA members). Includes ticket to see “The Parachute”.
- “The Parachute” shows: 29th and 30th June, 1st and 2nd July at 19h.
- Maximum number of participants: 15.
- Where: La Puntual. C/ Allada Vermell, 15. 08003 Barcelona. Spain.
- Language: Spanish/English.